How to watch winter die; Works of November ~ LGW

 


       watercolour on paper, 2021, lili ward


Poem written for Finn Quaid's song 'Scarlet'


How to Watch Winter Die.


Today was the first day of strange life.

Watching the cold shrink you 

                                              down 

                                                          to 

                                                                  size.

I let you grow pocket sized,

I let you perch on a stem then a spoon.

The frozen pinching didn't stop.

Now I'm sitting with my goose bumps,     quality time with my skin

                    and I think while I sit here that id better introduce myself, 

                    and tell you again how strange it is to meet you like this.

To meet you:


                     pocket-

                     sized.

I'll let the sun dry you up and hear your crackling curse,

what was once wind burnt skin and red ends.

As Jacob wrestles the angel, splintered light grapples corrugated iron just to meet my squint.


September made me a puddle, October dried the mud and I wrote my name in it.

Now I stretch to split it and it slides right off of me.


Now that is how you watch winter die:

When they call to tell you, don't cry.

Sit by its bed and be kind to the doctor,

then say nothing.

Buy white flowers and wear a tuxedo, be a shoulder and find one to cry on.

Notice as it thaws to a spill of water.


(Adaptation of Michael Lassells narrative poem)


                                 watercolour on paper under ink on baking paper, 2021, lili ward
                                                         ZOLOFT SCARF xxx



watercolour on paper, 2021, lili ward


stay safe and happy 
love from lili



Comments

Post a Comment