The Second: Exchanges from isolation; Discussing 'PRIMARY 2020' and 'The nymphs'


While pandemics and global crises are synonymous with the upending of society and suffering isn’t art synonymous with burgeoning under these perilous circumstances? Do hard times actually equal good art?
There are countless artist biographies that romanticise their difficult circumstances, perpetuating the idea that artists thrive with the expectancy of impending destitution. The romantic narrative of the necessitous poet/artist leads the world to believe that the artist's community could at least survive, if not thrive in this time. This is not entirely true...
When the government first put in laws of social distancing and restricting gatherings of less than 500 people, then 100, then 50, the performing arts and arts communities were some of the first to suffer. Over 600,000 Australians are employed in the creative and arts sector and it contributes $112 billion to our economy, but this relies mostly on bringing people together. What happens when that becomes dangerous?
Well, art is a constant, art has always been made and will continue to always be made. While the perpetuation of this romantic narrative that stars the struggling, broke, unstable artist is a toxic generalisation, that doesn’t ring entirely true for some artists. You don't have to suffer to create art about suffering. I do believe that artists can create, not just because of, but in spite of these testing times and inspiration can be found in lonely and isolating places.
Isolation is a time for introspection, people want to be amused more than ever, people want to be distracted, to be consoled, to view and be viewed, whether purposefully or not, all art created from and during these times in history will be forever stamped by these events.

We talked to Margarita Kontev and Isobel walker about being art students in the time of coronavirus:

Margarita Kontev on self-isolation and her piece PRIMARY 2020:

"Producing, accessing and absorbing art in the current social climate undoubtedly has challenged many, switching to more digital based platforms and connecting via video chat rooms are only some of the coping mechanisms for students and enthusiasts to maintain a creative mindset. Remaining grateful for the space I have to create work preserves sanity, but the limitations and restrictions that have arisen from the pandemic that is COVID-19 are appearing to be gradually more destructive to my mental state. The struggle of distance and isolation, although beneficial for the reduction of the virus outbreak, gives rise to unknown anxieties and an overarching sense of hopelessness which I cannot help but feel greatly. To adapt to new environments and processes of connection within the art world has made me reconsider my position as a 19-year-old art history student when the tangible and hands-on experiences of my course have been stripped, leaving me to create an independent approach to learning (still in the process of adjustment and acceptance)
Spreading love at this time is of great importance, sharing projects, readings, music videos etc,
To support and nourish our 'self iso' brains.

PRIMARY 2020 is one of the many digital collages I have been making with the assistance of adobe software's, based off of a nostalgic scroll through my camera roll where I uncovered old memories in the form of photographs, poems, notes and sketches"


PRIMARY 2020 - Margarita Kontev

Primary - Magarita Kontev
PLEASE use hyper link for better resolution image:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oYEV5fFpnql7DIjwFQSKCFtHRSHV6fLt/view?usp=sharing





The Nymphs - Isobel Walker

Intertwined - Isobel Walker
Intuition - Isobel Walker
Intuition - Isobel Walker
Rotten Mushrooms Isobel Walker
The Nymphs - Isobel Walker
Valentine's Day Isobel Walker

"In my photographic series - The Nymphs, I want to fuse natural and human elements while integrating traditional and modern mediums in order to create a digital landscape. 

The series was heavily inspired by John William Waterhouse, Gustav Klimt and Alphonse Mucha who were all males exploring the relationship between the female form and the natural world through traditional mediums. In my work, I explore themes through a digital medium in order to take on a modern representation of this theme 100 years after these artists. 

My process was formulated in the sense that I knew where I wanted to go, I just had to experiment in order to get there. While taking the photographs around my garden in Mount Macedon, I chose not to look through the viewfinder so I could capture the subject in its most pure state of being, without human imposition. I played around with different filters and effects on the home video camera and found that enhancing the bright pastel colours resulted in really beautiful, muted neon greens, pinks and yellows. I collaged the photographs using Adobe Photoshop, layering multiple images to create a technological clutter of natural items that resemble the work of my inspiring artists while also producing a digitally abstracted landscape."

Isobel Walker on the importance of making art in isolation:

"In a time of seemingly bleak inspiration and debilitating isolation, we have to make art differently than before. It's important to remember in times like this that drawing inspiration and creative thinking, are things that we practice. They are things that we can learn to do better but they are skills that we can lose. Don't take your creative talents for granted; seize the opportunity you now have to reflect and grow. I see myself spiraling sometimes, asking questions like "What is the point of making art without the ability to share it?" I'm sure there are others asking the same questions.
we have to rethink the reasons we make art.
I am learning to create for improvement."How can I refine this?" This is a new question I am asking myself. I am creating so I can come out of isolation better at articulating my ideas and be a better artist.
We shouldn't let ourselves get caught up in our online lives but rather take the time off social media and rest, now is the perfect time to explore that thing you've been meaning to try and focus on your skills. It's a wonderful time to just make shit"


Art will be made and you will make it.

Thank you for reading our second post, we are posting whenever we can amongst the disarray.
We want anyone and everyone to submit, we want all art and we want it from all corners of the world.

Please submit to Minnie and I:
Minnie.nancarrow2@gmail.com
or
Liliward71@gmail.com

Speak soon, maybe in a couple of days...

Written by Lili Ward
Interviews with Isobel Walker and Margarita (Maggie) Kontev








Comments